Kolossi Castle is a former Crusader stronghold 12 kilometers west of the city of Limassol. It held great strategic importance and contained facilities for the production of sugar, one of Cyprus's main exports in the Middle Ages. The original castle was possibly built in 1210 by the Frankish military, when the land of Kolossi was given by King Hugh III to the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (Hospitallers). The present castle was built in 1454 by the Hospitallers. Dwellers in the castle include the Templars and the already mentioned Hospitallers.
The castle consists of a tower known as a keep with an attached rectangular enclosure or bailey about 30 by 40 metres (98 by 130 ft).