Saint Neophytos was the founder of the monastery in 1159. He lived there and died in 1219 at the age of 85. The main church of the monastery was built around 200 years after his death and is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. A famous painter, Theodoros Apsevdis, undertook to paint the frescoes in the Enkleistra. You can also see Byzantine icons of exceptional artistic quality in the main church of the monastery and visit the museum of the monastery, which has exhibits from both the ancient period and Byzantine period. Interesting places for the visitor are the caves with the cell of Saint Neophytos (Enkleistra). The Enkleistra, an enclosure carved out of the mountain by the hermit, contains some of the finest Byzantine frescoes dating from the 12th to the 15th century. His rock-table and the stone platform on which he slept are still preserved in his cell, as is his grave. According to legend, this grave is adjusted so that it comes to measures whoever tries it. Within the monastery building is an interesting museum displaying many artefacts and historical items. There is a small admission fee for the museum and caves under 2 euro pp.